Email: email@example.com | Tel: 07726 562716
Tel: 07726 562716
Public Affairs Officer
Salary expectation: £25,300 to £30,459
Application deadline: Mon 21st October
This is a full-time role
The Microbiology Society is a membership charity for scientists interested in microbes, their effects
and their practical uses. It is one of the largest microbiology societies in Europe with a worldwide
membership based in universities, industry, hospitals, research institutes and schools.
Our members have a unique depth and breadth of knowledge about the discipline. The Society’s role
is to help unlock and harness the potential of that knowledge.
Read more about our mission and values at microbiologysociety.org
We are seeking a Policy Officer to help deliver our ambitious policy goals and projects. Working with
the wider Policy Team you will be responsible for progressing external scientific and higher
education policy activities for the Society. You will also be responsible for promoting science policy
issues and engagement to members of the Society.
• Provide key support to the Interim Head of Policy to achieve the policy objectives set out in
the Society’s strategic plan.
• Lead on identifying policy developments relevant to microbiology.
• Ensure Society audiences are aware of relevant policy developments by contributing to the
Society’s newsletter, blog, quarterly magazine Microbiology Today, and social media.
• Interpret and assimilate the findings from research to formulate evidence-based and
solution-focused policy for the Government and other policy-makers.
• Produce proactive and reactive background briefings on relevant policy issues for opinion formers, decision-makers and parliamentarians.
• Identify policy consultations and draft response documents, assimilating evidence from
• Network with scientists, policy officers and other stakeholders from relevant organisations.
• Organise events which support the delivery of the policy objectives set out in the Society’s
strategic plan, in collaboration with the Conferences Team.
• Represent the Society at external events and meetings including parliamentary receptions,
• Assist with general administration as required by the Interim Head of Policy
Deadline: Mon 21st October