Email: email@example.com | Tel: 01227 781205
Tel: 01227 781205
Advocacy & Information Officer
Salary expectation: up to £30,000
Application deadline: Thu 15th November
This is a full-time role
Muscular Dystrophy UK is the charity for the 70,000 people living with muscle-wasting conditions in the UK. We bring together people affected by more than 60 rare and very rare progressive muscle-weakening and wasting conditions. We provide a range of services and opportunities to help people live as independently as possible. We campaign to improve the quality of life of the people across the UK who live with muscle-wasting conditions.
This is a fixed term contract for 2 years.
Main purpose of role:
The Oxford Advocacy and Information Officer will join a team that makes a real difference to the lives of people with muscle-wasting conditions living in Oxford and the peripheral areas.
This role will be primarily supporting both the adult and paediatric services which are based at the John Radcliffe Hospital. The post holder will be employed by Muscular Dystrophy UK, and hold an honorary contract at the John Radcliffe Hospital. The post holder will work with the Oxford Neuromuscular MDT, statutory organisations, clinicians, social and health professionals to ensure that people with muscle-wasting conditions get the care and support they need.
As a charity, we are now contacted by more families than ever before. Given this increase in numbers, the post holder will take leadership of welcoming new families to the charity in Oxford, working with all MDUK charity departments to do so.
- Develop MDUK support services locally, in order to reach more individuals and families living with muscle-wasting conditions in Oxfordshire accessing the Oxford centre as their tertiary neuromuscular centre
- Support the development of the charity’s advocacy and welfare service in Oxfordshire, by taking on individual advocacy cases – predominantly triaged by the adult and paediatric care advisors
- Manage, lead, and organise small support groups, events engaging and supporting families and individuals living with muscle wasting conditions
- Support clinical team to organise teaching/training events for professionals, and community teams.
- Recruit individuals living with the condition to become ‘Advocacy Ambassadors’; offering peer-to-peer advice and support
Please note, interviews are due to be held on Tuesday 11th December.
We appreciate the range of skills and experience our staff have to offer. In return for your enthusiasm and commitment we commit to actively developing and supporting you. We also offer a range of benefits including pension, life assurance, ride to work scheme, health cash plan, childcare vouchers and an employee assistance programme.
*Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications we receive we will only contact candidates that are shortlisted for interview. Therefore if you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please note your application has been unsuccessful.
Deadline: Thu 15th November