Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: 07726 562716
Tel: 07726 562716
Communications and Marketing Manager
Salary expectation: £35,000
Application deadline: Thu 16th August
This is a full-time role
600 million people are living without electricity across sub-Saharan Africa. They have limited choices
when it comes to lighting up their homes, with many relying on candles, torches and, worst of all,
kerosene lamps to escape the dark. These filthy, dangerous, devices are imperilling health, impairing
education, wasting household income and emitting astonishingly high amounts of carbon into the
atmosphere. Lack of access to electricity is keeping people in poverty.
SolarAid’s vision is of a world where everyone has access to clean, renewable, energy, with a current
mission focusing on sub-saharan Africa. Business as usual scenarios are projecting that by 2030, over
600 million people across sub-saharan Africa will remain without access to modern forms of energy.
2030 is the same year SDG7 has targeted to ‘Ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services.’ SDG7 is, therefore, heading for failure. SolarAid is committed to changing this future reality.
Since inception in 2006, we have impacted over 10 million people, largely through our social
enterprise, SunnyMoney, which sells high quality, low cost, solar lights and continually develops
innovative business models which prioritise creating energy access for people living in rural, off grid
communities. But we need to do more. We need to increase the level of support for our work and
develop campaigns and partnerships which will transform the access to energy landscape. Everyone
has a role to play and you can help, by joining in a highly innovative and dynamic organisation seeking
to be even more disruptive than ever before.
About the job
Working in a small, growing, team, working closely with our fundraisers and reporting into the CEO,
you will be an ‘all rounder’, responsible for leading the development and delivery of SolarAid’s
marketing and communications, as part of the wider organisational strategy.
As a key member of the Fundraising and Communications team, you will combine strong technical and creative skills and be passionate about growing, engaging and motivating audiences, helping them understand, feel part of and ultimately support us as we work towards increasing access to clean, renewable, light and energy across Africa.
You will be experienced in managing digital channels, working to the test, measure, reflect, refine
model, understand user journeys and understand paid social advertising. This role involves project
management; copywriting, analysis and insight; social media management, digital marketing and postal fundraising appeals; and website management. SolarAid is also planning to initiate campaigns and petitions in order to further its mission and this role will play a central role in organising these.
- Produce and implement a digital strategy, working closely with out fundraising team, to grow
the number of SolarAid supporters and spread our message
- Develop and produce content in a coordinated and planned method for digital and non-digital
channels, including a communication plan to our supporters.
- Brief staff, volunteers, and supporters who act as advocates, on SolarAid’s messaging and how to apply this consistently
- Track and monitor press and media exposure, seeking new and creative ways to capitalise on
- Attract and engage visitors to the website providing the best possible experience for those
who choose to donate to us
- Managing our social media to recruit attract and engage with supporters and encourage
supporters to both share and create content about SolarAid
- Designing marketing and promotional materials, to attract the attention of the range of
audiences we are trying to reach
- Management of newsletters, developing and uploading content to the website
- Managing technical web changes inc: Developing new page layouts and functionality; CSS and
- Managing our database and communications with our supporters. Ensure communication and
engagement with supporters is recorded on the database working with the Supporter
- Increase our understanding of people who support us by capturing supporter feedback,
conducting surveys, and from analysis of data
- Set up measures for attracting attention, others spreading our story, and providing a good
supporter experience that help monitor and improve our performance
- Work closely with the fundraising team to develop supporter appeals and the associated
online and offline
- Working with our teams to develop and implement future campaign and petitions
- As part of a small team, there will also be administrative duties as required.
You will also be involved with helping us upgrade to a new Customer Relationship Management system.
- A person with a sunny disposition and a passion for solar energy and international development, who embraces our values of positivity, courage and a desire to lead by example
- A degree in marketing/communications or equivalent, with proven communication and
- Able to hit the ground running and to work effectively under minimum supervision and use
- Highly organised and able to manage and prioritise a varied workload, meeting deadlines
- A brilliant all round communicator
- Have a meticulous eye for detail and a confident multi-tasker
- Willing to support colleagues, attend events or help the team where necessary
- Experience working with creative agencies and graphic designers to generate engaging
- Experience producing hard copy publications including brochures, flyers and posters
- Experience writing web copy, knowledge of search engine optimisation principles, content
management and html coding
- Experience with managing an array of social media accounts (Twitter – Buffer and or Hootsuite;
Facebook; Youtube; Pinterest; Storify) and relevant measuring tools
- IT knowledge and ability to troubleshoot e.g. firewall / web / phone systems
- Ability to do original graphic design – e.g. T-shirts / 10 Year Report / Pie charts
- Experience of Salesforce
- Experience of Mailchimp or other newsletter software
- Experience of Adobe CS including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience of AdWords and Google Analytics
- Video concept creation experience – script writing – filming – editing and managing producers
- Experience of video editing software
- IT literate with a good understanding of Microsoft Office packages.
- PR experience – i.e. writing and signing off on press releases
- Previous experience of campaigning in the charity sector
Deadline: Thu 16th August