Email: email@example.com | Tel: 01227 637293
Tel: 01227 637293
Location: Islington, London
Salary expectation: £35,000 to £37,000
Application deadline: Mon 11th June
This is a full-time role
The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) is looking for an experienced campaigner for its Forests Campaign.
Main purpose of position
As part of a dynamic team of people you will help implement EIA’s forest campaign goals and participate in field trips as required. The role will also involve sustaining EIA’s relationships with partners and allies in East Asia as well as helping to formulate and plan ongoing campaign goals together with EIA’s experienced forest team.
Essential skills and abilities
- Two years’ experience in campaigning, or similar field with proven knowledge of environmental and human rights issues
- An understanding of issues and mechanisms relating to forests governance, illegal logging and the associated illicit trade, and forest conversion, natural resource extraction
- Experienced in realising targeted research projects and tasks that include analysing, documenting and reporting findings.
- Have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyse complex social, political, economic and environmental parameters in ways that inform EIA’s work and communications.
- Ability to work with different culture and languages
- Strong interpersonal, communication and time management skills.
- Willing and able to travel at short notice, including to potentially challenging environments
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- A legal right to work in the UK
- Fully proficient in Windows applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook and other applications.
- An understanding of East Asia politics, environmental and human rights issues is an asset
- Understanding and experience of international forest governance initiatives such as FLEGT VPA’s, the EUTR, the Lacey Act, CITES, etc
- Experience working with indigenous communities.
- An understanding of business and financial issues
- Experience in working in Indonesia , Myanmar, or both.
- Ability to speak read or write relevant Asian languages: Bahasa Indonesia, Thai, Vietnamese, Mandarin and Burmese desirable. European languages (French, Spanish German, Italian) an asset.
- Assist in campaign related research as directed and participate in both desk-based and field-based investigative activities with experienced staff, as required.
- Assist in monitoring illegal timber flows within producer countries and to consumer markets
- Identify investigative opportunities in line with the Forest campaign strategy
- Liaise, collaborate and communicate constructively with partners on the ground.
- Collate, analyse and manage documented research or investigative findings for use in achieving defined campaign strategies
- Use existing demand side legislation to build cases against trade in illegal timber Assist in both internal and external report and briefing writing and production as required
- Maintain constructive working relationships with actors and agencies important to EIA’s work
- Represent EIA and its forest campaign to external audiences, as required by senior team members
To apply, please visit https://eia-international.org/about-eia/vacancies/job-vacancy-forest-campaigner
Deadline: Mon 11th June